Level
First Floor
Segment
CIFF Village 1st floor
Area
B3
Stall
116
The Superga Story Turin, 1911. The Walter Martiny Rubber Industry was born, which will be called “Superga” given the proximity of the factory to the famous Basilica. Walter Martiny, the founder, discovered the existence of a new technology, invented by Charles Goodyear: the vulcanization of natural rubber. He was the first person to bring the invention in Italy. In 1913, Superga® starts the production of fully waterproof rubber boots, which reduce the problem of diseases and infections typical of places like rice fields and marshlands. In 1925, the Superga® 2750 was born. It all started thanks to Walter Martiny’s wife, an enthusiastic tennis player. At the time tennis was played with rope-soled shoes, offering excellent grip on clay courts but easily damaged. The Swiss engineer decided to produce a mould with a latex and sulphur mix creating a new sole in vulcanized natural rubber, which was basically indestructible. In 1962, the Italian graphic designer Albe Steiner created the new Superga® logo, characterized by a simple and clean design and still in use today. In the 70s, Superga® firmly established itself in the world of sports with a dedicated range. All of the brand’s sports shoes featured the unmistakable “swallow tail” logo. Here were Superga® Sport, the shoes aimed at professional athletes from different sports, including tennis, which continued to feature in the brand’s history.